It’s always exciting to be building a new home! But there can be drawbacks. Building a house from start to finish in Florida – really, building a house from scratch in any location – can be stressful. There are lots of decisions that go into building a home, and many of them will change how the finished product comes out. The good news is that understanding the process can help alleviate some of the stress!
10 Steps to Building a House in Florida: From Start to Finish
- Find Your Spot – The best way to begin is to find the lot you want your house to sit on. Lots can come in all different shapes, sizes, and locations, so you’ll want to plan it out carefully before choosing a spot. It’s also crucial to make sure you’re in a good area to connect electricity and plumbing – you don’t want to have your house built and then realize that you’re not going to be able to get the sewer system in for another month!
- Decide Who Will Build Your Home – After you’ve got your lot picked out, it’s time to evaluate the different builders of Florida custom homes. Synergy Homes will work with you to make sure that you build the house that you want, and that everything will be as easy and painless as possible during the process.
- Get Your Plans Put Together – You can’t build a house without drafting out a plan first, and the experts at Synergy Homes are excited to help get you started on creating that. Whether you’re altering an existing plan or bringing one together from scratch, it’s easy to build your dream home with the help of Synergy Homes. Make sure everything is up to engineering, safety, and building codes before you build, and double-check with the homeowner’s association to make sure everything will go perfectly for your custom build.
- Prep the Site – Before you build, you’ll also need to prepare your lot. This can include plotting out your power lines, sewer lines, gas pipes, and even marking off your driveway before you begin. You’ll need to grade your lot to ensure proper drainage, and you might even need to clear away trees or brush before building.
- Lay the Foundation – The first part of your home to be built is the foundation. As the lowest part of your home, and the piece that’s actually on the ground, it’s crucial to make sure that nothing will get inside. The foundation for your home must be perfectly put together to ensure that everything will remain stable, non-flooded, and level as long as the house is standing.
- Frame the Walls –After the foundation or basement is built, the walls are framed. Your custom home builder will begin to put together the loose shell of the home – much like the early phases of construction sites, where you can still see through the wooden supports and into the soon-to-be interior of the home.
- Install the Ductwork – After the walls are propped up and ready to be formed, the ductwork is installed. You wouldn’t want to build a wall and then just have to knock it in to install wiring, would you? In this step, both pipes, ductwork, electrical wiring, and phone lines are installed in the house, so that the builders can easily access them and make sure they’re perfect before the rest of the wall goes up. Clunky pieces of plumbing, like bathtubs, are also installed during this step.
- Insulate the Walls – Insulation is actually really important to your home, even in a place as warm as Florida. It keeps the cold air in the summertime and keeps the hot air in during the winter. It helps to regulate the temperature of your living area, and it’s incredibly useful. Insulation goes inside the walls and is layered over by drywall and an initial coat of paint to complete your home. (At Synergy Homes, we recommend installing R-20 Icynene spray foam insulation in the ceiling and attic, too! For more recommendations like this, check out the Synergy Homes Advantage.)
- Add the Permanent Fixtures – After getting the walls in, it’s time to install the floor coverings. Ceramic tile and wood floors are always put in first, followed by vinyl and finally carpet. This is also the time a lot of the other permanent fixtures in your home, like the sinks or outlets, are also put in to complete your home.
- Finish the Exterior Touches – While the inside is finishing up, though, important things are also happening on the outside of your home. Driveways, patios, and sidewalks will be laid, and the siding of your house will get put on.
If you’re considering building a house from start to finish in Florida, Synergy Homes has your back and is willing to help you with anything you need. From drafting the plans to laying the driveway, the whole process is made easy by hiring a custom home builder like Synergy Homes to have your back. Contact us today to get started on your dream home.