Visiting model homes is an exciting step towards owning your dream house! To make the most of this process, we recommend that you ask any and every question you can think of! This is your time to get the information you need to make the best decision for your budget, your lifestyle, your family, and your future.
When you’re touring a model home, ask:
- Is this home within my budget? Before you start visiting model homes and falling in love, know what you can afford in terms of a mortgage. This is an essential step because it helps you narrow in on specific locations and home styles within your budget. Talk to a lender to nail down your price range, and then… happy hunting!
- Do I have room in my budget for upgrades/customization? The beauty of opting for a floor plan with a builder like Synergy Homes is that you can tour a model home and see what, if any, customizations you would like. You can also determine whether these upgrades fit into your budget.
- What are my needs versus my wants? On a related note: be clear on what you need. This may be three bedrooms, fenced yard, two bathrooms, and a two-car garage. Your wants may be everything from hardwood flooring to marble counter tops. These are not essential to the performance of your home, and they add on to the cost. As mentioned, you need to figure out your budget ahead of time and then determine if you have room for your wants.
- Can you tell me about this neighborhood? You’re not just going to be living in the home; you’re going to be living in the neighborhood. What type of community is this? How are the schools? How far are amenities like grocery stores, health centers, public transportation, etc.? Is the street busy or quiet? Is it a bedroom community? Find out if you’d like to call this area “home.”
- What is the home like beyond the decorations and staging? When you tour a model home, it looks its best! It is likely staged with elegant decorations, fresh flowers, and maybe the scent of fresh baked cookies. Strip all of this away. Instead, focus on the layout. How do you feel moving from room to room? Will this floor plan be conducive to your lifestyle? Is there enough space for privacy and for togetherness? Ask questions like these instead of getting caught up in the decor details.
- Is this a well-built home? Likewise, take the time to look around. Are the floors even? Are the cabinets straight and flush? Do the windows operate smoothly and close tightly? Are there any gaps between the floors and doors? Are the fixtures (e.g., faucets) of good quality? Again, try to picture the model home both empty and then with your belongings and personal style. Do you like what you see?
- How does the financing process work? Many home builders work with preferred lenders and can direct you to the appropriate resources. You are under no obligation to use these lenders, but it may streamline the process. As always, it is important to shop around for the best terms and conditions. Synergy Homes also offers incentives and specials to buyers. For example, through our Hero Program, veterans, active duty military, law enforcement, firefighters, EMS, and first responders are eligible to receive $1500 for purchase or closing costs. Ask us about other specials as well!
- How long does it take to build? If you are purchasing a move-in ready model home, then the answer is easy! It’s built and waiting for you! If you want to build on your own lot, purchase a lot in one of our communities for building, and/or add customized features, the timeline is typically three to six months (compared to 10-16 for custom built).
- What kind of warranties can I expect? Home builders should offer you a warranty that covers major structural issues. For example, we offer a warranty for up to 10 years that covers foundation, floors, basement (dry/finished), siding, thermal and moisture cover, insulation, doors and windows, electrical, roofing, heating and cooling systems, septic, etc. Be sure to ask what exactly the warranty covers – and what it does not. Remember, no matter how comprehensive, it is not a replacement for homeowners insurance.
- When I’m done visiting model homes, am I going to remember them? When you’re visiting model homes, be sure to make notes and take photographs. Why? Well, after you’ve toured three, four, or ten, the details can blur! We encourage you to take your time and only tour a few homes in a day, but if you’re in a time crunch, certainly document everything so you can refer back to them later and make an informed decision.
Ready to start visiting model homes? Get in touch with the Synergy Homes team today to schedule a walkthrough of our model home center in Port St. Lucie and/or West Palm Beach.