Tucked halfway between Miami and Orlando is the scenic city of Port St. Lucie. While it is the eighth-largest city in Florida and third largest in South Florida, this locale manages to retain loads of small-town charm and “Old Florida” flavor. Its 190,000 or so residents enjoy a relaxed, laid-back atmosphere – with plenty of big-city amenities. It is the perfect blend of convenience and proximity with peace and quiet. Are you considering moving to Port St. Lucie? Here’s why it may just be the best idea you’ve ever had.
10 Reasons Why Moving to Port St. Lucie is a Great Idea
Living in Port St. Lucie allows you to take advantage of:
1. Excellent Weather.
Let’s face it: if you’re thinking about moving to Florida in general, chances are you like mild temperatures and lots of sunshine. Port St. Lucie delivers with a warm, subtropical climate. The summers do get quite hot and humid (low 90’s℉ during the day), so plan to stay hydrated and hit the beach as often as you can! Winters are a dream come true – especially for those escaping from the north. Temperatures stay in the 70s℉. Snow is but a fantasy, but there’s plenty of rain for lush scenery, gardening, and growing.
2. Great Beaches.
Again, if you are considering moving to Port St. Lucie, we’re guessing you don’t mind the sand, surf, and sun. This city has plenty of options, boasting 21 miles of pristine beaches. About half of that is public preservation land, so we are not seeing developments that erode the quality of the coastline. There are more public beach access points per square mile in Port St. Lucie than anywhere else in the state. You know those romantic images you have in your head of riding a majestic horse on a quiet beach? You can make them come true here. And you can also swim, fish, boat, kayak, dive, snorkel, picnic… the list goes on and on.
3. Opportunities to Get Outside.
Port St. Lucie is a paradise for those who want to live an active lifestyle. In addition to nearby beaches:
- There are nearly 40 parks and rec facilities in the city. Explore, bike, walk, picnic, and enjoy.
- Boating and fishing are excellent. Easily access the St. Lucie River and other points to cruise, fish, and explore. You can also find several chartered fishing expeditions at the Fort Pierce Marina. You know what they say, even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!
- It’s a golfer’s paradise. The city hosts the PGA Learning Center and is home to many top-level courses. PGA Village, St. James, and the Savannah Club are gated and exclusive, and you can also find excellent public courses, like the city-maintained Saints Golf Course. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner, you’ll find the course that’s right for you.
- The New York Mets have held spring training here since the late ‘80s. Even if you’re not a die-hard baseball fan, watching “our” team get ready for the season is exciting!
But we know the decision to move to Port St. Lucie is not all about fun and sun. What about jobs, work, cost of living, and taxes? Not as sexy, we know – but critical in any decision you make about relocating! So, some practical reasons to make the move:
4. Opportunities to Get Outside.
Florida does not have a state income tax, which is hugely beneficial whether you are an employee or a business owner. In fact, Florida is renowned for its business-friendly climate.
5. It’s Affordable.
Compared to other cities of comparable size and amenities, living in Port St. Lucie is very affordable. Let’s put this into perspective: say you currently live in New York and earn $80,000 per year. In St. Lucie, you can maintain the same standard of living for just $41,000 per year! Home prices are also much lower than in comparable markets.
6. Excellent Educational Opportunities.
The public school system in Port St. Lucie is fantastic, with strong STEM, enrichment, and language programs. As well, there are great local colleges and universities within close distance so you can begin or continue your education.
7. It’s Close to Everything.
When you live in Port St. Lucie, you’re just a stone’s throw from major attractions, such as Disney World, Legoland, and Marlins Park. You are also close to the even bigger cities of Miami and Orlando. While you will find a healthy job market in Port St. Lucie, its proximity to other metropolitan areas does expand your opportunities even further.
8. It’s Safe.
Port St. Lucie is recognized as one of the safest cities in Florida – and in the entire country, according to data compiled by the FBI.
9. Now Is the Time to Buy.
The Port St. Lucie real estate market is growing more competitive, but again, for now, it is quite affordable. If you buy now, you can have confidence that your investment will appreciate in years to come. Building value is great whether you intend to sell or want a forever home (equity is our friend!).
10. Synergy Homes Builds in Port St. Lucie!
If you are thinking about it, get in touch with the Synergy Homes team. We invite you to visit our model home center right here in Port St. Lucie. Walk-through and get a feel for the quality, value, and beauty that our homes offer – and then talk to us about the model or custom home of your dreams. We will help make it a reality.
Best Neighborhoods in Port St. Lucie
- Gatlin Pines – In addition to providing convenient access to shops, restaurants, and employment opportunities, Gatlin Pines is a terrific neighborhood in which to raise a family. (Plus, Synergy Homes’ model home center resides here!)
- Woodland Trails – This up-and-coming residential community has churches and commercial areas within walking distance, and is home to a charter school and two dog parks.
- Torino – Another up-and-coming area, Torino, is a commuter’s dream. Torino offers easy access to Interstate 95 while being tucked away from the main roads.
- Bayshore Heights – This beautiful, peaceful residential neighborhood gives you convenient access to several nearby shops and restaurants. It’s a great place to get to know your neighbors!
- Canal Pointe – Residents of this charming family-friendly Port St. Lucie neighborhood love the laid-back lifestyle and convenient access to the C-24 Canal Park and the Intercostal Waterway. (Pack your kayak or canoe!)
- Cashmere Cove – It’s easy to get from here to there, thanks to convenient access to the Crosstown Parkway and turnpike. It’s just a quick trip to St. Lucie West’s shops and restaurants. In addition, Cashmere Cove is known (and loved) for its 10-acre Turtle Run Park. It features a large pavilion, an open space with goals for soccer, football, etc, and a wonderful playground. Pack a picnic and the family, and enjoy!
- Floresta Pointe – If you crave peace and quiet, that is just what you will find in this wonderful Port St. Lucie neighborhood. Florida’s best beaches are just a short drive away, and when you want more hustle and bustle, I-95 and the turnpike are easily accessible.
- Newport Isles – This community gives you the best of all worlds: it is just off I-95 and in close proximity to shops, recreational opportunities, services, restaurants, and more. At the same time, there are ample lake and marsh views and plentiful wildlife for a picture-perfect life.
- Sandpiper Bay – Located on the St. Lucie River and west of US-1, this beautiful community is quiet, pristine, and charming. It also offers ample opportunities for recreation and outdoor pursuits. Hit the Saints Golf Course for a round or two, marvel at the natural spectacles on display at Port St. Lucie Botanical Gardens, or indulge yourself at the all-inclusive Club Med.
- Sawgrass Lakes – This upscale community features a blend of gated communities and elegant homes on oversized lots. It’s renowned for its scenic water views of the water and beloved for its close proximity to shops, restaurants, schools, recreational opportunities, and more.
Any of these Port St. Lucie neighborhoods offer ideal locations in which to buy or build your dream home and start a new chapter of your life. In fact, moving to Port St. Lucie is a wonderful decision – and choosing Synergy Homes as your trusted Port St. Lucie home builder ensures that you make the most of it! Contact us today about building or buying the home of your dreams.