When you make the decision to invest in a custom home, you are choosing to have more control over the elements that make a house a memory-building, heartwarming home. From the size and layout to the number of bedrooms and energy-efficient features, you do not have to sacrifice your vision. You get to build it! It’s an exciting time, but also one that can be stressful and complicated. What should you look for? What should you expect? Start with some tips from top custom Port St. Lucie home builders.
Start at the Beginning
Let’s back up: before you start nailing down square footage or working on every detail of your dream master suite, there is a fundamental step to take: selecting the right Port St. Lucie home builder. Why does this matter so much?
You are going to entrust the building of your home to these people. It is essential that you are confident in your choice. They will provide information, advise you, guide you, and, ideally, support you throughout every phase of your project. Do your homework:
- Research prospective custom Port St. Lucie home builders. Look at their websites, read the information they provide, find reviews and testimonials…. You know the drill.
- Look at a gallery of their work. This should be prominent on their website. Does their style align with your needs?
- Ask for a tour of a home they have built. This will give you more information than you can get through pictures alone, allowing you to gauge their craftsmanship and expertise.
- Ask them… everything. If you have questions, now is the time. You’re looking for information, of course, but you are also looking at how they answer your questions. Are they attentive? Respectful? Do they listen when you speak? Do they appropriately address your concerns? Or do you feel they are being vague? Non-transparent? Dismissive? Pay attention to your gut feeling here.
- Does the builder offer a warranty? This can deliver exceptional peace of mind.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, what else should you look for in a custom home?
Decide What Matters to You
When you think about your dream home, what do you envision? Ask yourself:
- How big should my home be? What are my current needs, and what do I anticipate needing in the future?
- Do I want one-floor living for ease of access and mobility? Do I want two so I have space for children, dedicated rooms (e.g. home office), and guests?
- What rooms are most important? Beyond the kitchen, bathrooms, and bedrooms, what do you need? An expansive great room for relaxation and entertaining? Outdoor space, such as porches and decks? An entryway/mudroom? Den? Laundry/utility room? Large closets?
- Do I want an open-plan home? Or would I rather have “closed-door” opportunities for privacy, work, etc.?
- What type of style is most “home” to me?
- How can I integrate elements that align with my lifestyle?
- How important are energy efficiency and green building?
Now let’s look at some great features to consider when you are working with a Port St. Lucie home builder.
- Walk-In Closets. If there is one “trend” that will never end, it is the desire for large, walk-in closets. It’s a convenience factor: you have space to organize so you never have to hunt for your lucky shirt or your favorite pair of shoes. It also keeps clutter out of the bedrooms. Built-in shelving only sweetens the deal – and looks spectacular.
- Porch. Indoor/outdoor living is another trend that’s staying around, especially here in beautiful Port St. Lucie. Porches can become an extension of your living space and offer a comfortable retreat. With glass doors, overhead fans, lighting, and other features, the porch may just become your favorite room in the house!
- Wet Bar. For people who love to entertain, whether it’s a large dinner party or a night in with friends or family, a wet bar is a must-have. This is a useful area for storing wine, spirits, glassware, and other accessories, but it also adds an elegant touch to your home.
- Pool. In Florida, lounging poolside on a hot sunny day is our idea of perfection! You have endless opportunities for swimming, recreation, or simply floating with an ice-cold beverage. Plus, in this area, a pool can increase your home’s value should you decide to sell or use equity.
- High Ceilings. Extended or vaulted ceilings add a wonderful sense of airiness and space. Visually, it lends an increased sense of luxury that is enhanced by features such as exposed beams, overhead fans, artwork, and other touches.
- Fireplace. Now, we know it doesn’t get as cold here as it does in points north but we have some chilly stretches! Curl up in front of the fireplace (energy-efficient gas is a great, clean option) and enjoy the warmth and ambiance.
These touches can have a big impact on convenience, comfort, and enjoyment.
Are you ready to make your dream a reality? Synergy Homes is a leading custom home builder in Port St. Lucie. Our homes are designed with you in mind. With exceptional energy efficiency, beautiful design, and outstanding craftsmanship, you will find everything you are looking for in a home. Contact our team today.